Waco Multiple DWI Lawyer
Defending Against Multiple DWI Charges in Texas
Being charged with a DWI is a serious matter, but being charged with multiple DWIs is even more so. If you have been charged with multiple DWIs, you need to take immediate action to protect your rights and your future. At Milam & Fanning, PLLC, we understand the gravity of the situation and will work diligently to build a strong defense on your behalf.
Call Milam & Fanning, PLLC, today at (254) 237-5602 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our multiple DWI attorneys in Waco.
What is Considered a Multiple DWI?
A multiple DWI, also known as a repeat or subsequent DWI, occurs when an individual is charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) for the second or subsequent time within a specific timeframe. Texas law takes a stringent stance on multiple DWI offenses, recognizing the heightened risks associated with repeat offenses.
The legal threshold for determining multiple DWI charges is typically within a ten-year lookback period. If an individual is arrested for DWI and has a prior conviction within this timeframe, they may face enhanced penalties for the subsequent offense. It is crucial to understand that multiple DWI charges can result from any combination of alcohol or drug-related driving offenses.
What are the Penalties for Multiple DWIs in Texas?
The penalties for multiple DWI offenses in Texas are severe, reflecting the state's commitment to deterrence and public safety. As seasoned Waco multiple DWI lawyers, we recognize the importance of understanding the potential consequences our clients may face. The penalties for multiple DWI convictions may include:
- Increased Fines: With each subsequent DWI conviction, fines escalate significantly. The financial burden of multiple DWI convictions can be substantial, impacting individuals and their families.
- Lengthy License Suspension: A conviction for multiple DWI offenses can lead to a prolonged suspension of driving privileges, restricting an individual's ability to commute to work, school, or fulfill daily responsibilities.
- Mandatory Ignition Interlock Device: The court may order the installation of an ignition interlock device, requiring individuals to pass a breathalyzer test before starting their vehicles. This measure is designed to prevent intoxicated individuals from driving.
- Jail Time: Multiple DWI convictions often result in increased jail sentences. The duration of imprisonment can vary based on the specific circumstances of each case, but it is a significant concern for anyone facing multiple DWI charges.
- Probation: Individuals convicted of multiple DWI offenses may be placed on probation, requiring strict adherence to court-ordered conditions. Failure to comply with probation terms can lead to additional legal consequences.
- Impact on Employment and Personal Life: A multiple DWI conviction can have far-reaching consequences, affecting employment opportunities, professional licenses, and personal relationships.
Defenses Against Multiple DWI Charges
Some common defenses against multiple DWI charges may include the following:
- Challenging Traffic Stops: If law enforcement officers lacked reasonable suspicion to initiate a traffic stop, it may be possible to challenge the legality of the stop and subsequent arrest.
- Questioning Field Sobriety Tests: Field sobriety tests are subjective and can be affected by various factors. We can scrutinize the administration and interpretation of these tests to identify any inaccuracies.
- Disputing Breathalyzer Results: Breathalyzer devices are not infallible, and various factors can influence their accuracy. We can thoroughly examine the procedures followed during testing to identify potential errors.
- Reviewing Blood Test Procedures: For cases involving blood tests, we can scrutinize the chain of custody and the procedures followed in collecting, storing, and analyzing blood samples.
- Challenging Prior Convictions: In some cases, errors in prior convictions or constitutional violations may provide grounds for challenging the validity of previous DWI convictions.
Contact Our Multiple DWI Attorney in Waco Today
At Milam & Fanning, PLLC, our Waco multiple DWI lawyers are committed to providing strategic and relentless advocacy for our clients. Don't let these charges jeopardize your future. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward a robust defense. We are ready to stand by your side, offering the support and expertise you need to navigate the complexities of multiple DWI charges in Texas.
Contact Milam & Fanning, PLLC, Today to get started with our Waco multiple DWI lawyer.