Modifying Court Orders

Waco Child Custody Modification Lawyer

Modifying Court Orders in McLennan County

Life is rarely constant. This is even more true when it comes to life with children. Things are constantly changing, and you have to adapt.

When a life change affects your child custody order, however, it is important to work with an attorney to ensure you handle it properly. A mistake could cause problems with your custody arrangement. At Milam & Fanning, PLLC, our Waco custody modification attorneys can help you modify your custody order in a way that fits a change in your life. We help clients with post-divorce modifications across McLennan County, including in Lorena, Waco, and the surrounding communities.

Get started by calling (254) 237-5602 and arranging a comprehensive, confidential consultation.

When Can You Modify an Order?

Generally, a child custody order can be modified under a few different circumstances:

  • The circumstances of a parent or the child have changed significantly.
  • A child who is 12 years or older has requested a change.
  • The custodial parent allowed another person have custody of the child for at least six months.

The most common of these is a change in one parent's circumstances. This may mean a new job that changes your schedule, a serious medical condition that impacts your ability to care for your child, a relocation due to work or another reason, or a remarriage.

It may also be possible to alter an order if one parent becomes unfit to care for the child because of an addiction, prison time, or other behavior that puts the child at risk.

How Do You Modify an Order?

You will have to petition a judge to have your modification request approved. A judge will consider whether the changes support the best interests of the child before allowing you to move forward with the new parenting plan.

If you and the other parent agree, a judge will simply have to sign off on the new order. If you do not agree, there will be a court hearing to determine whether the modification request can be implemented.

We Can Help by Telling Your Story

A major component of any child custody matter is explaining to a judge why a change should be made. Often this means presenting a compelling argument in your favor. At our firm, our Waco custody lawyers will be your advocates, and we will tell your story.

If a new job has prompted the change, we will explain to the judge why your new job is good for your children. If you have been diagnosed with an illness, we will explain how it affects your ability to uphold your current parenting plan. Whatever your circumstances, we will be on your side, standing up for you, every step of the way.

To schedule a time to discuss your modification with one of our lawyers, please call us at (254) 237-5602. We assist individuals throughout McLennan County.

Milam & Fanning, PLLC

Start your consultation today by filling out the form below or calling (254) 237-5602.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.